National Historic Sites The remains of Yohfukuji Temple as designated on June 19, 1967
Yohfukuji is a Buddhist temple founded by Yoritomo Minamoto copying Nikai-Daidoh-Daichojuin located in Hiraizumi as he had been deeply moved by its solemn appearance.
The temple was dedicated to the war dead of Ohshuu battle such as Yoshitsune Minamoto, Yasuhira Fujiwara and other.
The construction of the
the temple began in 1192.
Kamakura city started its excavation research on the site since 1981 toward developing it as the historical site and confirmed the remains of the central hall(doh) and the garden with a large pond in it.
are laid out symmetrically with Nikai-doh in the center and two side-halls(doh), Yakushi-doh to the North and Amida-doh to the South.
These halls make up a cathedral of 130 meters long from South to North with its front facing the East and a pond of more than 100 meters long from South to North was found existed on its front side.
Kamakura city started to buy land as of fiscal year 1967 and from now on, plans to be engaged also in historic park development projects.